Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's in the Post




The Royal Mail on January 13 will issue a set of first class stamps commemorating ten British design icons.  Among them:  The Mini car, the mini skirt, the red telephone kiosk, and (my favorite!) the orange and white Penguin book cover.  I have a confession:  I once had to buy an extra suitcase because I was hauling too many UK-issue-only Penguin books home from London.  US customs was not amused. Neither were the baggage handlers. 

(Illustrations via Cup of Jo via Automatism)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to tell which is more delicious--the designs on these stamps or the French bakery goods below. A taste for the UK Penguin editions of the classics is the mark of a genuinely refined sensibility. They're books for the hand, as well as the eye. Seeing them on my shelf makes me feel better about life, myself--and the world.

Anonymous said...

Why can't the US Postal Service come up with classy stamp designs like these? I'd like to see Bruce Lee on a stamp. That would be cool!

denene @ style and inspiration said...

my mom is from England and still collects English stamps (now lives in the U.S.). I always like British stamps better than American ones.