This Page

has been moved to new address

It's in the Post

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
English Muse: It's in the Post

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's in the Post

The Royal Mail on January 13 will issue a set of first class stamps commemorating ten British design icons.  Among them:  The Mini car, the mini skirt, the red telephone kiosk, and (my favorite!) the orange and white Penguin book cover.  I have a confession:  I once had to buy an extra suitcase because I was hauling too many UK-issue-only Penguin books home from London.  US customs was not amused. Neither were the baggage handlers. 

(Illustrations via Cup of Jo via Automatism)


Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to tell which is more delicious--the designs on these stamps or the French bakery goods below. A taste for the UK Penguin editions of the classics is the mark of a genuinely refined sensibility. They're books for the hand, as well as the eye. Seeing them on my shelf makes me feel better about life, myself--and the world.

January 8, 2009 at 8:01 AM  
Anonymous Hugo Martin said...

Why can't the US Postal Service come up with classy stamp designs like these? I'd like to see Bruce Lee on a stamp. That would be cool!

January 8, 2009 at 10:55 AM  
Blogger Style and Inspiration said...

my mom is from England and still collects English stamps (now lives in the U.S.). I always like British stamps better than American ones.

May 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home