This Page

has been moved to new address

Whimsy, Stitched

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
English Muse: Whimsy, Stitched

Monday, March 23, 2009

Whimsy, Stitched




I'm completely charmed by Sarajo Frieden's wonderful, whimsical embroidery. She just posted a new lot on flickr. (And she has a lovely website.)

Here we have "Stitched Bird with Coat," "Leaf Lady," and "Pocket Park." The leaf lady does not look pleased. She looks like she's saying: "Yeah, you try being covered with leaves." The lady with the plant: "My plant and I are on important business." The bird: "Eternal vigilance is the price of plumage."

Gouache on paper with collage and embroidery, done in collaboration with equally crafty Marci Boudreau. Love!!


UPDATE. Funny comment from Giulia:

"Marvelous. I agree with Tina about the (top) bird. I would add: sardonic & knowing. She carries off that red chapeau beautifully:) I have no idea why, but Diana Vreeland comes to mind. Maybe the noble nose & the red hat? Everything comme il faut? Forgive the franglais. I shall stop now."

8 Comments:

Anonymous Tina Tarnoff said...

Hey, this is one suspicious looking bird, if I ever saw one:)! And I adore it! The Leaf Lady and Pocket Park are very Aztec inspired. Unique, quirky and beautiful.

March 23, 2009 at 11:35 PM  
Blogger The Cottage Cheese said...

Very imaginative. I really like these!

March 24, 2009 at 5:05 AM  
Blogger Char said...

very cute and quirky - adorable

March 24, 2009 at 6:03 AM  
Anonymous Alicia said...

Who could not love the leaf lady? Embroidery is one of those arts that's never gotten its due.

March 24, 2009 at 7:38 AM  
Blogger Maggie May said...

The leaf lady is brilliant

March 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger giulia said...

Marvellous. I agree with Tina about the bird. I would add: sardonic & knowing. She carries off that red chapeau beautifully:) I have no idea why, but Diana Vreeland comes to mind. Maybe the noble nose & the red hat? Everything comme il faut? Forgive the franglais. I shall stop now.

xo, Susan

March 24, 2009 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Tina Tarnoff said...

Hilarious, Giulia, I love the Diana Vreeland comparison.

March 24, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Hayley said...

haha i love your comment, giulia. "franglis." seriously, the story of my life, hah

March 26, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home