This Page

has been moved to new address

First Dog

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
English Muse: First Dog

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

First Dog


Bo, a six-month-old Portuguese water dog, has joined the Obamas this week as the newest member of the First Family. The floppy-eared, black-and-white dog was a gift from Sen. Edward Kennedy and his wife.

The Obamas had hoped to get a rescue dog, and in a way they have, according to The Washington Post. Bo had been living with another family, but it wasn't a good fit, so the Kennedys gave him to the Obamas. Ha! A regifted dog! He was originally named Charlie, but the Obamas decided to call him Bo, as in Bo Diddley.

I hope he gets along better with the press corps than Bush's dog Barney. This video of Barney biting a reporter always makes me laugh. (I know, that's terrible of me. It seems White House dogs are under as much pressure as their masters!)

Have a look:


Anonymous Regina said...

So sweet! I love the Obama's dog! A nice choice! :)
Kind regards
Regina Babo

P.S: Congratulations for your blog!

April 14, 2009 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

How cute, a little Whitehouse Mascot! Hopefully this newbie will be press-friendly.

April 14, 2009 at 8:02 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi, Tina, great post! Love this pic. And the video is priceless!

Thanks so much for linking to Homebodies--you have sent some enthusiastic and supportive readers. I'm forever grateful! xo

April 14, 2009 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Maharet said...

Oh, I really wish I could see that video! Sounds hysterical.

April 14, 2009 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

What a lovely name for their dog!

April 14, 2009 at 9:16 AM  
Blogger Erica Root said...

omg beyond hysterical

April 14, 2009 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger - RenĂ©e - said...

I love that picture!

April 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger The Wanderers' Daughter said...

We've been looking for a second dog for months now, and while out shopping for a valentine's day present for my husband a couple months ago, I was lead into a shop by a tall, gorgeous black dog. The dog belonged to the shop owner, and since i'd fallen in love with him instantly, I asked her about him. He was a Portuguese with an "incorrect coat", which means he was born with silky hair instead of the curly afro (making him much more affordable to buy). He was gorgeous - tall and lean, like an attenuated golden retriever but in black...and so gentle, sweet and intelligent. I still covet one of those dogs.

April 14, 2009 at 10:20 AM  
Blogger Joseph said...

I think that recycling dogs is a good idea! Great post.

April 14, 2009 at 10:38 AM  
Blogger giulia said...

Hello all...thanks, Tina.

My little, redheaded Renaissance cat, the human (& all) rights advocate is so terribly excited. After all, Master Bo lives but a few miles from us, as the crow flies, straight down 16th Street. She loves do I break it to her that she's just not going to make the WH summer party/Xmas cut this year? She doesn't understand about allergies (I could try that excuse) because even people who are allergic come to visit her because she is such a darling.

I know that you're not an advice columnist, but as the guardian of two glamorous cats, I thought you might have an idea. Julie/Giulia acts very la-di-da but her feelings are easily hurt. She just doesn't show it. OK, that's enough anthro-ing for today...xoxo Susan

April 14, 2009 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Laura Trevey said...

Awe .... Bo is a cutie :)

April 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM  
Blogger Char said...

Bo is adorable...but, I think they could have committed wholeheartedly to the idea of a rescue dog instead of this purebreed. But...who can resist a curly face?

April 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I was just snugging my little pup, telling how much she brightens my day...great post.

April 14, 2009 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger MaygreenFairies said...

What a great blog, I've really enjoyed my visit.... and just lurve the You Tube clip LOL! Look forward to my next visit. Mandy x

April 14, 2009 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Joanna Goddard said...

i LOVE that top photo!!!

April 14, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger The Clever Pup said...

Oooh I hope Bo isn't a spy dog with an implanted mini camera! ;}

April 14, 2009 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

Looks they will make a good pair. I try to stay away from politics, but on the subject of Barney, "Like president, like dog."

April 14, 2009 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

I know! I saw it in the paper today and thought it was BRILLIANT! I love the name too.

April 14, 2009 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

nice pic. sure having the dog is theraputic, especially when you train it to take care of the media. lol.

April 14, 2009 at 2:07 PM  
Blogger Muppet Soul said...

Oh my that reporter is a baby!

Bush dog... So adorable, and I am such a dog person, and yet it does nothing to soften my view of them.

Except to maybe want to steal Barney the badass.

Obamas dog = luckiest dog EVER.

April 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger The Wanderers' Daughter said...

T, you are too sweet. Literally. Don't let 'em push you around ;)
Remember, it's your world here on your blog...we're all just visiting!

April 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Charlie said...

That first photo is adorable! That must have been such an amazing moment for the girls!

April 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Dream Sequins said...

Sort of symbolic. The legacy of the Kennedys being handed over to the Obamas. In the form of one adorable First Dog.

April 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I adored this shot of dog and man since I saw it this morning. What a money shot for that White House photag. Thanks for posting it here. I think this dog will be fun to track through time and is another wonderful device for the Obama family to connect with us, after being guided by a closed-door President for 8 years.

April 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Darrah said...

That guy is such a goober! If that is ever my job description... yikes!

April 14, 2009 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger The Cottage Cheese said...

Based on that top photo and the strong bond that I know will grow between pup and pres, my Obama crush just got a little bigger. Thank you for this picture!

April 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

I love the picture of Obama and Bo. So cute!

April 15, 2009 at 5:25 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Blandings said...

My 12 year old also pointed out that "Bo" is the president's initials. Duh.

April 15, 2009 at 6:30 AM  
Blogger seventhings said...

ha! love the picture of him running alongside the pup. can't decide who's more adorable. maaaybe bo, by a smidge.

April 15, 2009 at 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home