Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Majblommor

mayflowers

It's mayflower season in Sweden. I noticed one of the little paper flowers on my girl Katarina's Lolita blog today. I wish I could import this tradition to Los Angeles. Every year -- for more than a hundred years -- Sweden's Mayflower Charity Foundation has sold these little flowers to raise money to fight child poverty. Their website has a lovely catalogue of all the flowers -- dating back to 1907. The idea was started by Ms. Beda Hallberg from Göteborg. "Her simple but brilliant idea was that everyone could contribute by buying the small flowers from children – 'Children helping children'," according to the website.

Brilliant and beautiful!

I hope you all are having a lovely Wednesday. I'm going to a charity event in Beverly Hills tonight. I was thinking about leaving a little early to take some Polaroids on Rodeo Drive. If I don't return, you can probably find me still wandering around the Prada store.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic tradition!

Char said...

what a gorgeous tradition

Dionne said...

I love traditions from different countries! How lovely.

It reminds me of Red Nose Day in Australia. Every year on May 13, they sell Red clown noses that people wear everywhere - to work, to school, everywhere - and all the proceeds from the noses raise money for SIDS awareness.

http://www.rednoseday.com/

Laura Trevey said...

what a great foundation!!
so sweet :)

char said...

Wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the flower tradition! So pretty

Daydream Lily said...

wow, i hadn't heard of this before, what an amazing tradition.
x have fun at your event tonight.
Liss

Rachael Kearley said...

Thats such a lovely story. Have fun tonight!!!

LenoreNeverM♡re said...

...Lovely tradition, England does similar things with flowers too...Should bring them here I think! I link your blog for my post darling Tina! ~XO*

vicki archer said...

Love these flowers - have fun snapping away. xv

Katarina said...

thank you so much for posting this! so sweet of you! email me your adress and i'll send you a pin! :)

Anonymous said...

I have always loved mayflowers! I used to pick the blue-purplish ones with the yellow center for my mom when I was a kid :)

Charlotte said...

In tradition that involves flowers, particularly in spring deserves our support!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the flower tradition...it's a wonderful idea and I wish we had it here! Best thoughts from the brush...Doris

Maria-Thérèse ~ www.afiori.com said...

I bought my majblomma yesterday! I like this year's very much - it's pink with more pink! :D

jen jafarzadeh said...

wow, these are gorgeous and go for a great cause! thanks for sharing.