This Page

has been moved to new address

Seed Catalogs of Yore

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
English Muse: Seed Catalogs of Yore

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Seed Catalogs of Yore

I read about these old seed catalogs in Marcine's blog, A Clock Without Hands. Marcine spent one Sunday evening browsing through the Smithsonian Library Seed Catalog and these are some of her favorites. I think they would make great postcards and posters. I'm astounded at the high quality of design for these rather mundane items -- illustrations in seed catalogs! Aren't they startlingly beautiful?

You can find more of Marcine's ephemera favorites on Flickr.


Blogger Nora said...

these are pretty! thanks for sharing :)

August 4, 2009 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger LouDuk said...

Wow. Those are beautiful. I am impressed.

August 4, 2009 at 4:17 PM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Very pretty. :)

August 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger Jill of All Trades said...

Love these. A few years ago Burpee's catalog had some reprints of old ones that I loved and had framed for my kitchen. In fact the colors were the basis of two kitchens.

August 4, 2009 at 6:09 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Those are gorgeous!

{ Lindsey }

August 4, 2009 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger TheBeautyFile said...

Beautiful prints! I absolutely love these!

August 4, 2009 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger Simply Mel said...

It makes me so happy when a seed catalog felt the necessity to use such exquisite pieces of art!

August 4, 2009 at 8:47 PM  
Blogger Mademoiselle Frou-Frou said...

this is such a pretty post - i love it!! great job!!!

August 4, 2009 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger k.o'brien jewelry said...

i have some beautiful seed packets which were sent from sweden. i can't part with them. thanks for reminding me I need to take a better look at them.

August 4, 2009 at 10:03 PM  
Blogger Elise said...

Wow these are amazing - thank you so much for sharing !

August 5, 2009 at 12:58 AM  
Blogger Yvonne Anderson said...

Me like!

August 5, 2009 at 1:14 AM  
Blogger Indie.Tea said...

O how pretty those are....

August 5, 2009 at 2:11 AM  
Blogger Heini said...

Oh, how adorable are these!

August 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM  
Blogger caroline @ patagonia gifts said...

these are so lovely! I'm in love with the last one, a jasmine I think? thanks so much for your sweet wishes! xo

August 5, 2009 at 5:28 AM  
Blogger The Lil Bee said...

They would be so pretty hanging in a bathroom or boudoir, wouldn't they?!

August 5, 2009 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Living and Loving In L.A. said...

I love vintage seeds! Wouldn't those be pretty framed in a series in your kitchen? So exquisite! Thanks for sharing! XO!

August 5, 2009 at 7:55 AM  
Blogger Tina Tarnoff said...

I would love to have these framed on my wall, they are amazing. THey remind me of Cafe Cartolina cards (here is the link to her blog, she's amazing!)

August 5, 2009 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

The illustrations are just lovely. I love vintage packaging. It's amazing how much they used to put into making ordinary products look beautiful.

August 5, 2009 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Joanne said...

So beautiful!! Makes me want to grow flowers! :)

August 5, 2009 at 6:51 PM  
Blogger Janet said...


August 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home