Sunday, October 3, 2010

Weekend in review....

This is my unofficial media roundup for the weekend.
Just a few bits I found especially interesting...

First off, Ken Follett has a new book coming out called "Fall of Giants." It's a novel that follows royals and commoners through World War I and the revolution and it's good, says the NYT, which ran this lovely illustration (below) by the phenomenal Grady McFerrin with their review...

Boylan-popup
Roger Boylan, who reviewed the Follett book, writes: "The giants of the title, the crowned heads of Europe, are solidly ensconced in their palaces when the story begins in 1911 but all gone (except King George V of Britain) when it ends, in 1924. In between, various upheavals remake the world, affording plenty of scope for action, and Follett takes full advantage of this opportunity."

I'm a Follett fan anyway. Add royalty and scandal and I'm blissed...

*

Next, Rita Konig had a wonderful piece in the Wall Street Journal. The WSJ has been ramping up its lifestyle coverage and, wisely, grabbed some of the former Domino staffers to help out...

Rita writes about interior designer Todd Romano's
decidedly "Unoffice-y Office."

The photos are by Johnny Miller:


There's also a very cool virtual tour:

Johnny Miller for WSJ 2
Johnny Miller for WSJ 1

It looks better in person so visit it here.

*

Finally, we went to see The Social Network. I LOVED it...Rooney Mara (who was recently cast as the lead in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo") stole the opening scene playing Mark Zuckerberg's girlfriend. (Her character's name is Erica Albright and there's
much discussion at the moment about whether or not Ms Albright actually exists.)

Anyway, Rooney is gorgeous (various Wireimage photos below) and I can't wait to see her in Dragon...

rooney mara via wireimage

Ok, that's all from me...Have a lovely Monday everyone. I'll be back here tomorrow night!

4 comments:

Hope said...

great post! I thought Rooney Mara was a highlight in an already great movie, and yeah I noticed that she was gorgeous and cool-looking. I bet she'll be great in GWTDT.

Tonia said...

That is a great illustration for the Fall of Giants review: very evocative of the time and the changes taking place.

Traveller said...

Interesting post - I really want to see The Social Network...

Hope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.