Monday, March 28, 2011

Paris, East and West




I just read the most extraordinary story about Paris by writer Amy M. Thomas in the New York Times. Her prose is so beautiful, it made me want to pack my bags and go! Thomas spent two years living in Paris and currently is at work (in New York) on a book about her time there. She did the NYT story as a little prelude.

A snippet:

"I made my home in the center of the Right Bank, off the Rue Montorgueil. On an amazing market street filled with patisseries, fromageries and boucheries, nothing made me happier, or feel more Parisienne, than meandering up and down the pedestrian blocks, inhaling the irresistible smells of roasting chickens, stinky cheeses and warm, yeasty baguettes.

"On more occasions than warranted, I’d treat myself to a crème-filled pain aux raisins from Stohrer, one of the oldest bakeries in Paris. Not too far away in the Marais, at a bread stand inside the Marché des Enfants Rouges, the Cornet Vegetarien — a sandwich of fresh greens, grated carrots and fennel, marinated onions and thinly sliced avocado, dressed with olive oil and honey and dusted with chives and lime zest — was like nothing I’d ever eaten. And the man who prepared it, Alain, a barrel-chested maestro who was given to bursts of song and dance, always made my day."

This story made my day.
(How much is the NYT Internet subscription? Sign me up!)

UPDATE: I just discovered that Amy Thomas, the writer of the NYT story, has a blog, called God I Love Paris!

Photo, above, by Imke Klee

8 comments:

Helena said...

My taste buds are dancing!

Tonia said...

Oh lordy! I've only just had breakfast and now I'm hungry all over again! If only I were in Paris...

McGillicutty said...

MMmmmm mmmmm mmmmm. I miss being so close to all that delischiousness!! share some more please!!

vicki archer said...

Great article....xv

amy said...

Your blog is beautiful.
So happy to have found you~ Following you now.. x



kisses,
amy !
www.amyflyingakite.com

elizabeth said...

Yum. Torment us, why don't cha Amy, with all the wonderful sounding food! ; )

Amy said...

Merci, Tina, for the very kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed the article... and I'm glad to have now discovered YOUR blog!
Cheers!
Amy

camille said...

I adored her article as well! I live in Paris and it still made me love this city even more :)

Hugs xx Camille @ Paris in Pink